“Mission is never the fruit of a perfectly planned program or a well-organized manual. Mission is always the fruit of a life which knows what it is to be found and healed, encountered and forgiven. Mission is born of a constant experience of God’s merciful anointing.”— Pope Francis
Spiritan Office for Mission Advancement
Left: Fr. Dave Cottingham, CSSp., Elizabeth Cantu, Ray Sylvester, Fr. Mike Grey, CSSp.
Based in Houston, Texas, the Spiritan Office for Mission Advancement (SOMA), supports the Congregation’s public and charitable works of health, education, social services, and religious mission in the United States and throughout the world. It operates under the auspices of Sharelink-Spiritan Worldwide Aid Foundation, Inc. (The Spiritan Foundation). This support includes:
- Financial assistance including capital contributions, loans, and grants and acting as fiscal agent
- Solicitation and receipt of funds, grants, gifts, and contributions directly or in trust for the religious and charitable purposes of the Congregation
- Provision of technical support and advice to Spiritan missionaries directing developmental projects overseas
- Support for the special needs of the elderly, infirm, and disabled members of the Congregation, including but not limited to housing, health care, and relief from financial distress
- Management of funds, securities, and property of SOMA, be it real, personal, or mixed in nature
SOMA promotes and supports the mission of the Province of the United States and seeks financial resources for the international works and projects of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit.
It is the mission of SOMA to promote the Church’s mission and the charism of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit by involving Catholic faithful and all people of goodwill in the work of evangelization. It seeks financial resources to support the missionary, educational, pastoral, humanitarian and charitable works of the U.S. Province of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit in the United States and internationally.
Conscious that our Congregation is dedicated to the Holy Spirit, we aspire to the liberating values reflected in the acronym SPIRIT:
Solidarity with the poor and disinherited peoples we serve
Preservation and advancement of environmental and spiritual stewardship
Integrity in all that we do
Respect for the human person, their families and multi-cultures
Inclusivity of the varied sociology-cultural contexts that we encounter
Transparency in our financial transactions
The responsibility of this committee which meet at least three times annually are to provide advice and counsel to the Director relative to:
• Structures that support the funding and management of international development projects received by the U.S. Province,
• Domestic fundraising initiatives for the ministries of the U.S. Province,
• Establishment and enhancement of processes and practices that ensure transparency and accountability to prospective donors,
• Development of operations, best practices and policies which support the overall mission of the U.S. province in its manifold ministries,
• Serve as an advisory resource to the Director of SOMA and the Provincial of the U.S. Province on strategic matters relating to philanthropy and fund raising.
Spiritan Office for Mission Advancement
Congregation of the Holy Spirit, U.S. Province
1700 West Alabama Street
Houston, TX 77098-2808
Fr. David Cottingham, CSSp., Director
Fr. Mike Grey, CSSp., Assistant Director
For information on giving, contact: email@example.com.
All funds donated for specific projects are directed to the designated recipient less 5% for administrative and a nominal bank transfer fee for international projects.
* The Congregation of the Holy Spirit is a nonprofit organization established for exclusively religious, charitable, and educational purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (or corresponding provisions of any future United States Internal Revenue Law). All contributions are tax deductible.