MBOKOMBU, MOSHI, TANZANIA – September 10, 2015
A two year project to renovate an existing building into a medical dispensary at Mbokombu, Moshi, Tanzania concluded with the recent opening of the facility named for Fr. John Neville, C.S.Sp. John Neville was also a medical doctor, who became the first Irishman to head the vast mission which then included Kenya as well as the islands of Zanzibar and Pemba.
In 1913 there were about 5,000 Catholics and some thirty schools in the mission. When Bishop Neville retired in 1931 at the age of 72, the mission encompassed 20,000 Catholics and 142 schools.
Fr. Godrey Mgonja, C.S.Sp., project coordinator, stands outside the dispensary with staff members.
Patients now travel a short distance for care, and receive it for a nominal fee. Early days of the facility see 15-25 served in a typical day with issues ranging from malaria treatment to vaccinations for children.
The $22,000.00 project was funded through contributions to the Spiritan Office for Mission Advancement and local Tanzanian donors.